Programming for Network Engineers (PRNE) Version 1.0 is a Cisco® Training on Demand course. It provides you with an understanding of programming in Python. You also gain knowledge that helps you automate repetitive networking tasks and provides you with useful programming tools to use in your day-to-day job.
This course teaches you how to manage a network more efficiently with network programmability as you develop
Python programming fundamental skills. In addition, it provides you with the foundation required before attending
the Cisco Network Programmability Engineer course.
The PRNE Training on Demand course is a self-paced course based on the 1-day instructor-led training version. It
consists of 16 sections of instructor video and text, totaling more than 7 hours of instruction along with interactive
activities, 27 hands-on lab exercises, content review questions, and challenge questions.
This course is designed for network engineers looking to use network programming and those preparing for the
Cisco Network Programmability Engineer course.
Upon completing this course, students will be able to:
- Describe use cases and examples of the value of network programmability
- Acquire a full complement of Python programming skills — basics, data structures, control structures, comparison operators, input and output, structured programming, object-oriented programming, etc.
- Use Python to communicate to individual network devices, using examples of real networking communication and operations
- Use Python to communicate to multiple devices
- Use Object-Oriented Programming within Python to abstract network devices
- Use databases within a network-based application to store information about the network
- Use test methodologies to create quality applications
- Leverage software available via open source and existing libraries e.g. Cisco GitHub, Cisco DevNet, Python general-purpose and Cisco-specific libraries, NX-API
The knowledge and skills that a learner must have before attending this course are as follows:
- Experience with network management (CCNA-level recommended)