Negotiation Skills for Project Managers
Categories: Guaranteed To Run™, PMI
Whether you are asking for resources, negotiating with a vendor, or dealing with conflicts on the team, being a skilled negotiator makes you a better project manager. In this active, participatory course, you will practice the skills of negotiation and receive one-on-one feedback and coaching tips to improve your performance.
You will learn about the types of negotiation and different styles that you can adapt during negotiations. You will learn to determine your individual negotiation style and how to adapt to situations for more successful negotiations. You'll gain an understanding of competitive and collaborative negotiation and learn how to recognize each.
Students pursuing a university-recognized and/or accredited certificate in Canada or continuing education units in the US must attend at least 90% of class time, participate in class exercises and section-knowledge checks, and score at least 70% on an end-of-class, multiple-choice assessment.
- How personality can help (or hurt) a negotiation
- Negotiation practices and techniques
- How to thoroughly plan for a negotiation
- How to execute a negotiation strategy
- Breakthrough tactics for difficult negotiations
Associate project managers, project managers, IT project managers, project coordinators, project analysts, project leaders, senior project managers, team leaders, product managers, and program managers.
1. Introduction to Negotiation
- Negotiation Defined
- Conflict Resolution
- Stages of Negotiation
2. Personality and Negotiation
- Natural Tendencies
- The Six Principles of Persuasion
- Thomas-Kilmann Conflict Mode Instrument
- Collaborative Negotiation
3. Negotiation Practices and Techniques
- Negotiation Planner
- Positions vs. Interests
- Power Bases
- The Art of Questions
- Problem-Solving Question
- Creative Options to Achieve Mutual Gain
- Objective Criteria
4. Putting Negotiation into Action
- Preparing for a Negotiation
- During the Negotiation
- After the Negotiation
- Team Negotiations
5. Breakthrough Strategies
- Identifying Obstacles
- Overcoming Obstacles
- Achieving a Collaborative Negotiation
6. Putting It All Together
- Collaborative Negotiation: A Final Thought
- The Four Types of Conflict Resolution
- Stages of Negotiation
- The Pharmaceutical Manufacturer's Dilemma
- Basic One-on-One Negotiation
- Complete Thomas-Kilmann Personal Conflict Assessment
- Finding Common Interests
- Asking Key Questions
- Developing an Agreement
- Determining BATNA
- Preparing a Negotiation Strategy
- Active Listening and Reframing
- My Negotiation
Feel free to contact us, if you want to know the price and location of this course. A Digital Revolver representative will contact you shortly to help you with your inquiry.
Please fill out the form below
- Guaranteed to Run™. This ensures you will attend the instructor led class or live online class you want as scheduled without any disruptive cancellations*. You book the training you need, get back to focusing on your job and are sure your training requirements will be met saving time, money and ensuring peace of mind.
- This schedule icon the schedule indicates that this date/time will be conducted as Instructor Led Training (ILT) or a Virtual Instructor Led Training (VILT) depending on the indicated class availablity.