The Designing and Implementing Cisco Network Programmability (NPDESI) version 1.0 Cisco Training on Demand course addresses the evolving role of network engineers toward more programmability, automation, and orchestration, enabling you to leverage the powerful level of abstraction provided by controller-based architectures to create real added value.
You learn how to minimize the number of manual interactions with the network, and increase the use of scripts and automation tools to reduce operational inefficiencies. The course teaches you how to review network programmability fundamentals, including Linux and Python, common automation protocols such as Network Configuration Protocol (NETCONF) and representational state transfer (REST), and explains how they relate to YANG data models.
The course also enables you to understand software-defined networking (SDN) controllers, including Cisco® Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC™), APIC Enterprise Module (APIC-EM), and Open SDN Controller (OSC), as well as how to use device-level APIs such as Cisco NX-OS, Cisco IOS® XE, Cisco IOS XR, and ASA OS. Finally, it introduces you to DevOps and Agile software development methodologies, and helps you get started using automation tools such as Ansible, Chef, and Puppet.
The NPDESI v1.0 Training on Demand course is a self-paced course based on the 5-day instructor-led training
version. It consists of 26 sections of consumable segments via instructor video and text totaling more than 9 hours
of instruction along with interactive activities, 43 hands-on lab exercises, content review questions, and challenge
This course is designed for entry-level to experienced network administrators; network field and systems
engineers; designers, operations and automation engineers, and programmers; and those preparing for the 300-
560 NPDEV exam.
After completing this course, you should be able to:
- Understand the basics of network programmability
- Use basic Linux commands and configure networking
- Write and troubleshoot Python scripts
- Understand and use the REST and NETCONF programmability interfaces of various Cisco controllers and devices
- Consume and comprehend YANG data models
- Know DevOps and Agile software development methodologies
- Use practical application of the Ansible automation tool
The knowledge and skills necessary before attending this course is:
- Cisco CCNP® or equivalent experience
- Complete the Programming for Network Engineers (PRNE) ELT or equivalent Python programmingexperience